Friday, July 22, 2016

The STEM Gems Book - Inspiring Female Role Models in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics

This has been a terrific summer. Not only did I have the extraordinary experience of being a Visiting Fellow at All Souls College at Oxford University, which I blogged a lot about, but also two books were published this June: my Competing on Supply Chain Quality book, which I wrote with Dong "Michelle" Li, and  STEM Gems: How 44 Women Shine in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, and How You Can Too!

In my most recent blogpost, I blogged about why we wrote the Competing on Supply Chain Quality book.

This blogpost is about STEM Gems, which was authored by Stephanie Espy, who has degrees from MIT and UC Berkeley in chemical engineering and also an MBA from Emory University and is the founder of MathSP. 
I was delighted that when I returned from Oxford the book had arrived in Amherst and my daughter had already dived into it. I have now had a chance to read it and could not put it down. The book, which Espy dedicated to her daughter, Zoe, is aimed at middle school and high school girls but, frankly, I enjoyed it tremendously. Espy wishes that she had had such a book when she was growing up and I am sure that it will be a "go to" book for many educators, parents, relatives, and friends to share with girls and young women.

I was honored to be one of the 12 females in Mathematics featured in the book, and enjoyed very much the interview process and even the photoshoot at the Isenberg School of Management 2 years ago.  My area of expertise and passion is networks and operations research.
The book is very elegant and beautifully written and edited. It was great to see several females that I have corresponded with and even heard speak at different conferences! There are females in industry, government, and academia featured, and also in the health sciences. The entrepreneurial spirit shines through!

I always find it fascinating to hear stories from successful women as to why they chose a particular career path and what kind of activities they engaged in as children and who may have mentored and inspired them on their journeys. There are clearly themes that emerge from this book, and I know that I will return to it time and time again, because Stephanie Espy has put together a stunning volume. Many of the 44 females in the book speak of curiosity as a child about the world, about playing outside, about enjoying working on puzzles and noting patterns, and also having a stubbornness when it comes to solving problems and not giving up! 

I bought a copy for my niece and will be purchasing more to share with administrators, my female doctoral students, and also benefactors.

Below is a photo of my daughter, a summa cum laude Geology graduate, and my niece, an ocean engineering graduate, both STEM Gems, with the book. And the day after this photo was taken, they ran a half marathon, which speaks to their stamina and dedication.


They look great after covering 13 miles in rather warm weather at the Twin Reservoirs Half Marathon in Holyoke, Massachusetts.

Yesterday, I brought over a copy of my new supply chain book and the STEM Gems book for our Isenberg School of Management Dean Mark Fuller for some enjoyable summer reading.
And last week, I celebrated with the co-author of the supply chain book, Dong "Michelle" Li,  and my doctoral student, Deniz Besik, both books.

To all girls and young women out there, believe in yourselves! Thanks to Stephanie Espy for her hard work in producing this very valuable book and congratulations!